Sunday, November 25, 2018

A Little Housekeeping

Hello world,

So, I did a little housekeeping today. You see, I started this blog back in 2011. And back then, it was rubbish. The entries were too short, badly written and - frankly - not all that interesting. And when it wasn't one of those three - or all three at the same time - it was an angry rant (at the world or about it).

The kind of rant that might come back to bite you in the rear later. So, I grabbed the biggest axe I could find and everything pre-2016 went. The result....a much neater, more professional and - hopefully interesting archive/blog.

Update:  So why was my early blog such rubbish ? Well, I was young(er), not in the best of places in my head and work was no fun at all. In the years since....well, I moved job, I moved house....and things are not so dark inside anymore.

I was also inexperienced. Writing is like playing a guitar. Playing a guitar hurts your fingertips....until you develop calluses and the pain becomes less. But you only get those if you play through the pain. Writing is like that as well.

When you start, you write rubbish. (This is true for everybody.) And there is only one way to fix it....write, write, write ! Which is the advice that many a person gives starting writers.

And now that we're discussing advice..... I got some from RDA yesterday....He told me to get an agent. The problem is simple...I can't afford one. You see, I figure that agents are as expensive as lawyers. And that a conversation with one would go something like this....

Agent:  Well, I read your book. Its rubbish

Me:  What !?

Agent:  Oh, and that'll be four hundred dollars.

Me:  What !?

Agent: Eight-hundred. Now, get out before I sue you !

So....thanks, but no thanks. And that's all for today.

Edmond Dantes

No comments:

Post a Comment