Sunday, November 14, 2021

Adding Balance

Hello Alex,

Okay, I used to have lots and lots of labels. But a couple years ago, I decided to make it more professional. And one of the things I did as part of that overhaul, was cut down the number of the labels. Only four survived the slaughter: Politics, Writing, TV-shows and Other

Now, there was plenty of entries with the label Writing. Counting this one, there are now 75. This is because being a novelist-slash-fan fiction writer I talk about writing...a lot. And I hate talking about politics. Plus, most TV-shows these days are not that good. So my review are few and far between. 

Which only leaves the label Other, which is basically my version of miscellaneous. And so far, there hasn't been all that much to put under this label. So, basically, this blog has been a bit lopsided. Another reason for this, is the simple fact that I am not an expert on music. That would be my friend...

Rick Clogston

Besides being a budding novelist - with a big pile of books cooking in a secret lair - Rick is the lead singer of his own band. Called the Red Hat Band, it has put out a album called They'll Never Shut Us Up. Which I'm sure Google can find for you. And his blog can be found here:

Rick's Blog

So, if you want a pro's opinion, go there. In the meantime, here's my amateur stab at it. Which is my transition to....

Voor Een Verre Prinses

Based on a poem, this song has lyrics written by Willem Wilmink and was sung by Herman van Veen. Ignoring the rights issues, I think it would make for a really good song if ever translated into English. So, what does it sound like...

The Song 

If you want to take a stab at translating it, here are the lyrics...

En voordat ik ging slapen
Was er op de radio
Wat stemmige muziek
Een beetje weemoed voor de vaak
Een beetje heimwee in de maak
Een beetje treurigheid en zo

Toen is mevrouw Herinnering
Met mij op stap gegaan

Helemaal naar jou
En ik dacht wat was het fijn
En ik dacht waar zou ze zijn
Een heel eind hiervandaan
Een speelse jonge hond was jij
Een mooie gekke meid
We waren nog zo jong en dachten er niet aan
Met elkaar naar bed te gaan
En dat spijt me nog altijd

Opeens toen was het uit
En ben ik dood gegaan
Dat wist je zeker niet
Nu ik die late platen hoor
Komt het verleden onzuiver door
'k heb medelij met mezelf

Ach, wat heb ik in het voorjaar
Veel van je gehouden
't lijkt weer zo dicht bij
En daar doen we het maar mee
Want nu volgt het A.N.P
Het Wilhelmus van Nassaue 

And that's all I have folks.

Regards,

Ruben A. Hilbers (Commander Nash)

No comments:

Post a Comment