Sunday, May 7, 2023

Picard Season 3 and Shilling (Open Letter to RMB)

Hello Alexandria,

I know, I know, this is a letter to Robert Meyer Burnett. But between you and me, Alex, I don't expect him to read this. Although I'm open to being pleasantly surprised. Speaking of pleasant surprises....

I'm a happy to say that I've finally begun watching Picard Season 3. And yes, it is good. Sure, I have some nitpicks...

For example, in Episode 1, Beverly gets only a few shots out of the phaser rifle before it tells her the battery is empty. What kind of idiot would design a phaser rifle like that, let alone issue it ? And how can anybody just dock without permission ? Where are the safeties against that sort of thing ? 

...but compared to the Dreck that is Discovery, it is SO much better. Nice work, Terry Matalas (and company) ! I also believe Mr. Burnett when he says Paramount didn't pay him to promote the show. So...

Why Does This Situation Smell of Shilling to Me ?

Because in the words of RMB "It's not show friends, it's show business." And in business you don't give things away. You want something in return. So, why did Paramount give Burnett - who has been a vocal critic of NuTrek - early copies of Episode 1 through 6 ? What did they get in return ? 

On top of this, Mr. Burnett saw episode 7 through 10 ahead of their airing. But he won't say how. Again, what did Paramount gain ? And in the same period, he just happened to befriend Terry Matalas ? This whole thing smells like a Faustian Deal to me. 

And even if there was no deal, this whole thing feels like people playing games. Because I don't believe in coincidence. If this was an episode of NCIS, this is point where somebody would be quoting Rule 39. (Reminding us that there is no such thing.) 

All it would take is one whisper in the right place, one off handed suggestion. (Maybe #Secret Hideout is sick and tired of Burnett's criticisms and saw a chance to damage his reputation.) Either way, something is stinking here.

Regards,

Ruben A. Hilbers (aka Commander Nash - My fanfiction.net handle)

No comments:

Post a Comment